Welcome to the Blogsite of CESDEV-Nursing
Community Extension Services & Development
University of Cebu-Banilad College of Nursing!

This blogsite shall serve as your online access for information, updates, photo displays, videos, news, relevant links and other matters related to the programs and activities of UC Nursing CESDEV as well as other features that may be of peculiar interest and value to the University of Cebu community and the multitude of blog visitors.


UP CLOSE: SAM GARDNER



How's training going?
I had the best winter training ever. I didn't have a massive break after last season and I'm doing times I'm happy with.

Are you doing anything differently this year?
I've changed swimming clubs. My last club trained at nine to ten at night, so when you come home you're buzzing with adrenaline and you can't sleep. Now I'm swimming in the morning, which I don't like but at least I'm in the pool at six and done by eight. Last year I wasn't cycling as well as I have done. The year before I won more X-Terra bike legs than anyone, whereas last year I didn't win the bike at many races. I'm going hard on the bike training to get back to winning ways.

What's the main difference between Olympic distance and X-Terra triathlons?
Olympic distance is all about the swim and the run but X-Terra is all about the bike. If I was training for Olympic triathlons I'd do more running track sessions. In X-Terra the top guys are fast swimmers but the bike is so much more important because you spend 65 per cent of the time on it.

What's your advice for attacking a downhill on the bike?
Relax and look as far ahead as possible. Look at the path you want to take, not at the obstacles, because if you look at the obstacles then you'll veer towards them. Remember to bend your arms and legs to increase the effect of your suspension.

How do you establish a rhythm on the run?
It's hard because there are points where you can barely walk and your heart rate is all over the place. There's one race where you have to climb down rocks on a rope, so you can't get a rhythm. You need to train by preparing yourself for changes of heart rate, so don't train with an even pace.

What's the best way of running up and down hills?
The old theory for running downhill said you had to stride out. Now coaches say don't do that because the braking effect puts stress on your muscles - take short steps and kick your heel up behind you instead. When you're going uphill, pump your arms. Your legs will automatically follow. When you're flagging, sometimes it's easier to concentrate on pumping your arms. Also keep your stride short.

How do you refuel?
In hot races I use a hydration backpack because when it's technical it's hard to ride one-handed and drink.

Do you have any race day rituals?
I suffer badly in the cold and sometimes the starters will hold you for a few minutes in the water when it's freezing. My tactic now is to do my warm-up on land and stay out until the last minute, even if I lose a few seconds when the gun goes.

http://www.mensfitness.co.uk/rough_track_triathlon/training_tips/2314/sam_gardners_qa.html