Should the trend continue to hold, the Department of Health in Central Visayas (DOH-7) said dengue outbreak may be declared in some areas of the region next week. The DOH-7's Regional Epedimiology and Surviellance Unit (RESU-7) said it recorded a total of 6,046 cases in the region. It also recorded 43 dengue deaths with most victims aged six to 10.
Cebu City still topped the region with the most number of dengue cases at 1,403 cases and nine dengue deaths. Last week's figure was placed at 1,282 dengue cases. Abellana said an outbreak will be declared in an area if there is a 10-percent increase of cases based on the average number of dengue cases in an area for the past five years. The highest recorded rate of dengue cases was 7,108 in 2007.
Barangays Guadalupe and Labangon were cited as reaching the threshold level for dengue cases since last week. But Abellana said these areas traditionally recorded high dengue case rates.
While Labangon barangay captain Felix Abella said they have intensified their campaign against dengue, Guadalupe barangay captain Eugenio Faelnar voiced doubts about their capability. He said there are many breeding sites for dengue carrying mosquitoes in their area. Aside from an education campaign, Faelnar said they plan to buy a misting machine from their calamity funds.
Other dengue hotspot areas in Cebu City were barangays Apas, Banawa, Lahug, Mabolo, Mambaling, Punta Princesa and Tisa. Clustered health centers composed of a doctor, medical technologist and laboratory were set in barangays Basak-Pardo, Quiot and Talamban.
In Lapu-Lapu City, barangay Pajo has reached epidemic threshold level while barangays Basak, Gun-ob, Looc, Mactan and Pusok were classified as hotspot areas.
Elsewhere, the Department of Education in Central Visayas (DepEd-7) said four teachers were among the 425 dengue cases recorded in the region's schools from January to Sept. 8 this year. Two of the teachers were in Bohol, one in Cebu City and one in Siquijor. But all four of them have recovered, Regional DepEd-7 Director Recaredo Borgonia said. All 19 school divisions in Central Visayas were ordered to conduct regular cleanups in their areas, he said. Borgonia said their report showed that 418 of the 425 dengue cases were Grade 3 and Grade 4 pupils while three were secondary students and four were teachers. Of that number, 412 victims had recovered, he said.
Negros Oriental topped the most number of dengue cases involving students that were recorded in Central Visayas with 156 followed by Bohol with 63 cases. They were followed by Cebu City with 51 cases, Toledo City with 38 cases and Dumaguete City with 28 cases. Close on their heels were Mandaue City with 22 cases and Talisay City with 13 cases, Tagbilaran City and Cebu Province with 10 cases each, Bais City with eight cases, Lapu-Lapu City with seven and the rest with five or less cases. Two dengue deaths came from Cebu Province and one dengue death each in Cebu City, Dumaguete City, Lapu-Lapu City and Tagbilaran City.
Over at Cebu City Hall, private hospitals were called on to extend their assistance to dengue patients in the city and the province. Among those invited to a meeting with city health officials were representatives from the Cebu Doctors Hospital, Chong Hua Hospital, St. Vincent Hospital, H. W. Miller Memorial Sanitarium and Hospital, Perpetual Succour Hospital, and Cebu Velez General Hospital. Mayor Michael Rama said the meeting is only part of City Hall's proactive steps to dealing with the dengue problem. Some of the hospital officials voiced willingness to help but said they are priortizing existing patients since they are being filled to capacity.
In the province, the Integrated Provincial Health Office underscored its capability in dealing with dengue cases. Medical specialist Dr. Christine Marie Buscato said their office has sufficient supply of intravenous (IV) fluids and medicines for patients. She also said they are intensifying their education and cleanup campaigns in the cities and towns of the province.