Despite the government’s all-out campaign against the spread of dengue fever, the deadly mosquito-borne disease continues to claim more lives on Tuesday with the death toll in Mindanao rising to 15, while 11 other persons were reported to have died in Cebu.
In Cebu City, the City Health Department is advising residents to keep their surroundings clean and implement measures to prevent the dengue mosquitoes from breeding.
Durinda Macasucol, assistant city epidemiologist, issued the appeal after announcing a 112-percent rise in dengue cases in the city from January to May this year when compared to the dengue cases over the same period last year.
Macasucol said she expected the increase in dengue cases to continue with the start of the rainy season. Macasucol said the health department is intensifying anti-dengue campaigns such as mist spraying, fogging operations, and declogging of canals where mosquitoes are expected to breed.