One of the oldest Augustinian churches in Cebu, the tile-roofed church, with the convent attached to it, was dedicated to Nuestra Senora Patrocinio de Maria when it became a visita of the parish of Carcar in 1599 before it became a full-fledged parish in 1690. Since Boljoon was declared a pilgrim parish in 1690.
The church, which was originally built as a fortress in the olden times, attracts sightseers, religious art connoisseurs, academics, and conservationists. The interior is beautifully decorated. It features gold-leaf and polychrome on the retablos, the fine tracery railings of the pulpit and choirloft (which has a now-decrepit organ vintage 1880), the ornate "Islamic" silverwork of the communion rail, the lushly painted ceiling.
The facade, consisting of three levels with rococo decorations on the panels and along the shallow pilasters, is topped by a pediment that gives the squat church a slightly askew shape.